As the first official measurable snow fell on the mid-coast in December, the staff at Kieve-Wavus was busy preparing to greet 22 Vietnam Veterans and 12 of their spouses & guests at the Kieve campus in Nobleboro to say “Thanks”.
For the past 7 years, Kieve-Wavus has invited veterans and their families to come to the peaceful shores of Damariscotta Lake free of charge to relax, have fun and more importantly, reconnect with their families and other veterans who may have been in the same military conflict as them. Kieve-Wavus’ Executive Director Henry Kennedy said, “We are proud and honored to be able to host these friends and brave veterans who gave so much to our country for our freedom”.
These Vietnam Veterans enjoyed activities like pottery, acupuncture, pedicures, haircutting, rock-climbing, zip-lining, riflery, cribbage, cooking and card games and had great food the whole week!
A few comments from these Vietnam Veterans include:
- “I can honestly report that my first welcome home from Vietnam came from the staff at Camp Kieve. “ Joe L – Air Force,
- “I had a tremendous time meeting up with my brothers and making new friends.” Robert H – Marines,
- “The atmosphere was so relaxing; you couldn’t help but make friends.” William M – Army,
- “The Kieve crew was great! They were kind, caring, respectful professionals. Keep up the good work!” Philip W – Navy
We also hosted a Women’s Only Veterans Camp in January. These Women Veterans came from all the military branches and from all over the country. Our guests enjoyed many of the same events, activities and delicious food prepared at The KLC and Pasquaney.
Some of the comments include:
- “What a wonderful camp full of friendship bonding and sharing.” Stacy, US Navy
- “Warmth and comradery, Kieve feels like home.” Pauline, US Air Force
- “Thanks for welcoming us to your camp! I loved it and want to come back.” Tabitha, US Air Force
The State of Maine is proud to honor its veterans and their service to our country. As one of the few states with a dedicated recognition program, Maine takes every opportunity to celebrate the courage and sacrifice of our state’s veterans. The State of Maine has established the “Honoring a Veteran” recognition program to recognize our veterans for their military service. Adria O. Horn, Director of the Bureau of Veterans’ Services visited with us and took the opportunity to honor our guests for their service by presenting them with their “Certificates of Appreciation.” The Certificates read: “We the citizens of the State of Maine, express our sincere appreciation of your sacrifice, courage, and willingness to serve our great state and nation. We are proud of you and thank you for your contribution to the defense of Freedom.”
All camps are free of charge to the veterans and their families and are funded by Kieve-Wavus with the support of private donations and corporate grants made by those who deeply appreciate the service that all veterans provided to their country. Additional donations and support is always welcome. For additional information on all of our veterans camps, please visit http://www.kievewavus.org/veterans/